In order to easily work with Photos, Pelican has a plugin for photos that allows to easily show folders of pictures inside an article.
The relevant template for article has been already incorporated in Pelican, so last steps are to add to you requirements the ones for this plugin
Pillow and optionally
Elegant supports it out of the box. You just have to enable it in your Pelican configuration,
PLUGINS = ['photos']
Refer to the plugin documentation for configuration, but at the time of this writing, the settings are:
PHOTO_LIBRARY = "~/Pictures"
- Absolute path to the folder where the original photos are kept, organized in sub-folders.
PHOTO_GALLERY = (1024, 768, 80)
- For photos in galleries, maximum width and height, plus JPEG quality as a percentage. This would typically be the size of the photo displayed when the reader clicks a thumbnail.
PHOTO_ARTICLE = (760, 506, 80)
- For photos associated with articles, maximum width, height, and quality. The maximum size would typically depend on the needs of the theme. 760px is suitable for the theme
PHOTO_THUMB = (192, 144, 60)
- For thumbnails, maximum width, height, and quality.
PHOTO_SQUARE_THUMB = False
- Crops thumbnails to make them square.
PHOTO_RESIZE_JOBS = 5
- Number of parallel resize jobs to be run. Defaults to 1.
PHOTO_WATERMARK = True
- Adds a watermark to all photos in articles and pages. Defaults to using your site name.
PHOTO_WATERMARK_TEXT' = SITENAME
- Allow the user to change the watermark text or remove it completely. By default it uses SourceCodePro-Bold as the font.
PHOTO_WATERMARK_IMG = ''
- Allows the user to add an image in addition to or as the only watermark. Set the variable to the location.
- The following features require the piexif library
PHOTO_EXIF_KEEP = True
- Keeps the exif of the input photo.
PHOTO_EXIF_REMOVE_GPS = True
- Removes any GPS information from the files exif data.
PHOTO_EXIF_COPYRIGHT = 'COPYRIGHT'
- Attaches an author and a license to the file. Choices include: -
COPYRIGHT: Copyright -
CC0: Public Domain -
CC-BY-NC-ND: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives -
CC-BY-NC-SA: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike -
CC-BY: Creative Commons Attribution -
CC-BY-SA: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike -
CC-BY-NC: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial -
CC-BY-ND: Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives
PHOTO_EXIF_COPYRIGHT_AUTHOR = 'Your Name Here'
- Adds an author name to the photo’s exif and copyright statement. Defaults to
AUTHORvalue from the
Lightbox is enabled by default. You can disable it with
PHOTOS_LIGHTBOX variable. Set it to
FALSE in your configuration to disable.
PHOTOS_LIGHTBOX = False
How to use it in your articles¶
In order to use it, in your
YAML preamble of articles, add a line like this:
In order for the plugin to work, place your pictures in the folder defined by
PHOTO_LIBRARY, for example:
photos plugin will process the images, resize, include the watermark, etc and store in the output folder. Images will only be reprocessed if those are removed from the
output folder, this allows to save time when processing big galleries.
This is an example of the final result: